Submit 2011 Medical Expenses for Reimbursement Now

January 19, 2012 | Child Support, Legal Perspective

Icon for author Brian Vertz Brian Vertz

Under the Pennsylvania support guidelines, parents (and spouses who are receiving support) may be entitled to receive reimbursement of their medical expenses that were not paid by insurance, including copayments, deductibles, prescription and over-the-counter medications, and other out-of-pocket medical, dental and optical expenses. Generally the parent or spouse receiving support is required to pay the first $250 per year per person, but any expenses in excess of that threshold are allocated between the parents or spouses in proportion to their net incomes.

Additionally, the support guidelines provide for reimbursement of child care expenses, private school tuition and summer camps, and extracurricular activities for children.

In order to receive any reimbursement for medical expenses for 2011, the parent or spouse who paid the expense must submit a detailed request to the other parent, including the date, amount and nature of the expense; and proof of payment. If a request is not made by March 31, 2012, the right to receive reimbursement may be forfeited for 2011.

The lawyers and paralegals of my law firm frequently assist our clients in preserving or defending these types of claims. Contact Brian Vertz (or my assistant Ms. Kelly) for further information.

Contact Us